LEARN TO FIGURE SKATERisingStars is a "Transitioning Program" between CanSkate and the Star 3 - Gold program. It allows skaters to develop their remaining skills from CanSkate Stage 5 & 6 while working on their Star 1 & 2 Figure Skating levels. Skaters advance at their own pace based on their individual skills achieved and time spent on the ice.Ribbons and badges will be awarded from the CanSkate and Star programs as earned. STAR Assessments (with small Skate Canada fee at each level) will be done by accredited skating judge (skater's coach) and skater will receive certificate upon passing.
Skaters will receive a 1-hour group lesson format by our Skate Canada Certified NCCP Professional Coaches. Fundamental techniques along with fun, fast-paced, full-ice while completing their required ribbons and badges or preparing for assessments and competition.
The program will be offered as:
- 1-1 hour session a week or
- 2-1-hour sessions a week
- Lessons will be held on Sunday and Friday.
- Note: ice will be shared by other programs
- Figure skates are recommended but not required until completed Stage 6 of the CANSkate program.
- All participants are required to wear a CSA approve hockey helmet (cage optional) until passing Stage 5 badge (Skate Canada rule).
- Skates are the most important piece of equipment. Look for good ankle support and correct fit. Avoid the ski boot type of skate they do not allow for the bending of the ankle for developing power and speed. Adjustable size skates make balancing exceedingly difficult and frustrating for skaters.
- Long hair needs to be pulled back via hair band or bandana under the helmet - nothing more frustrating having hair fall into face under a helmet.
- Skates need to be sharpened before the first lesson.